A black market operator, David Olabanji, has been thrown into mourning after his wife, Rhoda, and his two children, got burnt to death as petroleum products he stored in his shop in the Dantata area of Satellite Town, Lagos State exploded recently.
Punch reports that Olabanji who had been dealing in the adulteration of petroleum products, among others, was outside his shop with his family when the explosion occurred suddenly. Rhoda who was also outside the shop when the fire started, quickly ran inside to save their two children who were sleeping at the time, but all three were unlucky as they got burnt to death.
“The man usually deals in the adulteration of PMS products, among others, in his shop. Around 4.30pm on the day of the incident, the man and his wife were outside the shop, while their children were sleeping inside when fire started burning the shop.
The wife quickly rushed in to rescue her children but she was unlucky. She, alongside her children, got burnt to death by the fire. The man also made an attempt to rescue his family but he couldn’t.
He sustained severe burns and was rushed to a nearby hospital for treatment. The man was adulterating the PMS products around the shop when the explosion happened.” a source said
The source explained further that Olabanji’s wife and children came to visit him from Ibadan, Oyo State, adding that people in the area were aware of his business dealings.
A resident of the area who gave his name as Danjuma, said.
“Due to the presence of tankers around the neighbourhood, he always gets products to sell. That man sells oil, petrol, diesel and other things to people in the community.
In fact, whenever there is fuel scarcity, if you come to his shop, you will still get the products. It was just unfortunate that this thing happened to him and his family.”
The spokesperson of the state police command, SP Benjamin Hundeyin, who confirmed the incident, said Olabanji would be investigated for engaging in such an illicit act, adding that he was still undergoing treatment in a hospital.
“The man has a case to answer. He is in the hospital receiving treatment but he has a case to answer. He is known for engaging in the illicit trade in the community. His wife and two children were with him when the fire incident started.
The children were sleeping inside and the wife ran to rescue them, but got burnt to death alongside her children. The man’s family actually came to visit him from Ibadan. An investigation into the incident is ongoing.”Hundeyin said